A number of stamp exhibitions take place around the world. For Asian countries, most of these exhibitions are coordinated with Federation of Inter-Asian Philately (FIAP). These are organised as ‘Asian International Stamp Exhibition’. For World Stamp exhibitions, these are organised with FIP (Federation Internationale de Philatelie).
One such World Stamp Championship took place in Thailand from 27th November to 2nd December 2023 in Bangkok, Thailand.
The exhibition also had the following purposes:
- To celebrate the 72nd Birthday Anniversary of His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua
- To celebrate 140th Anniversary of the first Thai Postage Stamp and Postal Services
- To promote friendly relations and maintain close co-operation amongst the philatelists and stamp collectors throughout the world.
- To promote philately and stamp collecting at the highest international level.
Exhibits were accepted for 13 different class categories, including a category to allow children aged 10 upwards to apply.
A number of exhibits were submitted from Sri Lanka too. Accordingly, 5 exhibits were submitted through the Sri Lankan commissioner Anura Samaraweera.
The exhibits from Sri Lanka:
|Class 10 – Picture Postcard
|Title of Exhibit
|Colombo – The heart of Ceylon
|Class 11E – One frame exhibit (Thematic)
|A tribute to the guiding lights of Sri Lanka
|The Asian Elephant
|Art of Music*
|Class 13B – Youth Philately (16-18 years old)
|Exploration of Space*
* – The 1 frame exhibit by Tharuka Samaraweera was also submitted
- in 2019 for China World Stamp Exhibition (1 frame Thematic category)
* – The 1 frame exhibit by Pasindu Weerasinghe was also submitted
- in 2019 for China World Stamp Exhibition (under 10-15 age category) – received 60 points
- in 2020 Philex2020, a national exhibition organised by Bangladesh National Philatelic association and
- in May 2023 for NZ2023 FIAP International stamp exhibition where he won Silver-Bronze (66)
We wish the winners the best and hope to see many more submissions in future exhibitions.